During the winter, it can be a real chore to get all the snow and ice off your windshield before heading out in the morning. This is a guide about keeping your windshield free of snow and ice with inexpensive items available at your home.
- Add 3 parts of vinegar with 1 part of water in a spray bottle. Spray the mixture over windshield in the evening when there is no ice on it, it keeps them ice proof. Be sure to spray all the windows of the vehicle, not just the windshield and apply it every night.
- Take 2 parts of rubbing alcohol (Surgical spirit) and 1 part of water in a spray bottle. Spray over the windshield in the evening when it is ice-free to prevent ice from forming overnight, it keeps them ice proof.
Use this mixture to wipe down the inside of your windshield to prevent the glass from fogging up.
- Mix 5 tbsp rubbing alcohol (Surgical spirit) to your windshield washer fluid to prevent from freezing up. Use your windshield washer solution as usual.
- Place an old blanket or a piece of cardboard over the windshield at night covering the glass completely. In the morning simply remove the covering from the windshield.
- You can also buy a professional de-icer if you wish. While this costs more money than the other methods, but these products are guaranteed to quickly de-frost your vehicle with minimal effort.
Remember, never pour boiling water on your windshield as the sudden change in temperature creates thermal shock which might result in cracks.